Davis: Do you want to chat about Nagykanizsa?

Places Around Nagykanizsa

Sopron

Transdanubia

Nagykanizsa

Esztergom

Szombathely

Bikal

Szekesfehervar

Mosonmagyarovar

Szekszard

Veszprem

Harkany

Koszeg

Pecs

Gyor

General Info

Nagykanizsa ia, Velika Kania; German Grokirchen, Gro Kanizsa, Slovene Velika Kania, Turkish Kanije is a medium sized city in Zala County in southwestern Hungary. It is also known in Hungarian as Kanizsa.. It lies not far from Lake Balaton at the meeting point of five routes. For centuries the town has been a connecting link. Goods from Slavonia were transported to Graz via Nagykanizsa, and the town played an important role in the trade from the Adriatic Sea to the Alpine region, Vienna, and Budapest..

What To See

Includes; Deak ter (Deak Square). - List made based on growing house number. Grunhut House (Grunhut haz), Deak ter 2 Only from outside. A romanticist building. This was the house of a rich grain merchant, banker and art collector, Alfred Grundhunt.. His flat was on the floor, the groundfloor and the courtyard accomodated an office and warehouses. Specialty of on its facade is the oriental piece above the balcony.. Hild House (Hild haz), Deak Ferenc ter 3. Roman catholic Parish House (R k plebaniahaz), Deak ter 4 It was former the Lackenbacher House. - An L shaped, one story building. The street side is gabled, the wing of the court with half gabled roof covered..

The arched entrance gate located at Eastern end of the Street facade. In the Middle of the facade on the second floor can be see a wrought iron balcony with consoles. The facade decorated with plaster in romantic style.. The ceilings of the ground floor rooms are made mostly ' barrel vault '. To the second floor a three arm, vaulted staircase leading. Built in the 1860's by Heinrich Lackenbacher, - who was that time, - the main food dealer of the Austrian military.. From 1898 it was owned by Fulop Grunhut grain merchant (Deak ter 2 also was his property). Since1940 the building operates as parish hall of the R C Sacred Heart Church..

Axenti House (Axenti haz), Deak ter 5. L shaped, one story building with gabled roof. The gate located in the Eastern edge's axis of the stret's facade. On the South facade of the courtyard wing is the Classicist grid lines hanging corridor decorated with the builder's monogram.. The rooms in the northern wing of the ground floor covered by ' carapace ' and ' barrel ' vaults. The upstairs rooms are mat plane ceiling. The windows are made in the second half of the 19th century and early 20th century..

Gyorgy Axente, a Greek leather merchant, built in 1817. Between 1845-1872 operated on the floor the Savings Bank of Nagykanizsa. From 1891, here was a shop of Reichenfeld Gyula wholesaler.. The main facade decorated by Deak Ferenc bust (Gyorgy Fischer) 1997.. Konig House (Konig haz), Deak ter 7. Pollak House (Pollak haz), Deak ter 10... Former Bayer House (Bajer haz), Deak ter 12.. A monument. A nice one storey building. Now Cafe Muskatli. Rosenfeld House (Rosenfeld haz), Fo ut 4.. Thury Gyorgy Museum (Former Batthyany Mansion, Batthyany kastely, Thury Gyorgy Muzeum), Fo utca 5-7. Located in the oldest dwelling house of town. It was built between 1705–12. It was owned by the Count Batthyany family..

For the construct used the bricks of remains of the Kanizsa Castle, therefor locals mentioned as the ducal castle. Two story baroque building with arched gate and ' kvader ' stony ground level.. In the courtyard of the Museum is located under the protective roof, - an original Turkish Fountain, whose rectangular stone basin derived from Ottoman period's Kanizsa Castle. - Exhibitions; the history of the territory from the Little Balaton's western basin to the river Mura from Neolithic till the Middle Ages..

- The other part describes the region's leading town, Nagykanizsa, focusing on its 18th century. - The empire furnishings of the Black Eagle drugstore were placed in a separate room, completely restored and first opened to the public.. The exhibition has been made even more enjoyable through interactive computer programs. - There are shops on the street side.. The Synagogue and " Jewis h House " (Zsinagoga), Fo ut 6. Classicist style, erected between 1807 and 1822. It was built in a courtyard. In the middle of the last century it was extended and decorated..

There is memorial for the 3000 Jews, who died in the concentration camps of World War II. The one storey classicist building facing the street is also owned by the Jewish Community.. Bazaar Yard and the Savings Bank (Bazar udvar), Fo ut 8 The Savings Bank of Southern Zala was established in 1870. Mostly it dealt with agricultutal credit operations. Rebuilt in 1881 in eclectic style with a very nicely ornamented facade.. This is a three storey building. Its looks to two streets. Also it has two inner courtyards. These inner courtyards were surrounded by several shops; that is why it was called the " Bazaar "..

- Now its courtyards has accommodated exclusive and intimate music concerts in summer.. Weiser House (Weiser haz, Wellisch haz), Fo ut 9. A baroque, citizen gable house. The building citations 18th century cityscape, one of the last of this kind in the City.. Originally a shop operating here, the owners were merchants of colonial goods and spice. In the second half of the 19th century, Samuel Wellisch since 1901, Jakab Rosenthal were shopkeepers here.. From 1930's years, Rezso Kelemen spices -, delicate - colonial goods wholesale and retail store operated here..

Garage for Coaches (Kocsiszin), Fo ut 10 (Inner yard).. Bogenrieder Palace (Bogenrieder palota), Fo ut 13. A masterpiece of Secessions style. It is remarkable for its lively ornaments and variety of forms. It was once owned by a wealthy pharmacist.. Jewish House (Black Eagle pharmacy Museum), Fo ut 6. In this house used to be one of the oldest pharmacies of the historic Hungary. Here can be see a museum with empire style furniture.. Bank Palace (Bankpalota), Fo ut 16.. Established in 1879 as the suboffice of the Austro Hungarian Savings Bank. This Bank is one of the oldest in Hungary. Thepalace was built with a splendid cupola looking onto the main square on the plans of Jozsef Hubert..

Is was completed in 1902-1903 in Eclectic style. The its interior bears all the features of a financial institution. This was a regional unit of the National Bank between 1924 and 1987 and of the Credit Bank (Kereskedelmi es Hitelbank) after 1987.. Sacred Heart church (Felsotemplom, Jezus Szive Plebaniatemplom), Deak ter. Monument. Roman Catholic church. One of the Churches in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Kaposvar. - Former here was a cemetery.. In 1764 a chapel was built in honour of St John of Napomuk for the Piarist Fathers. In 1824 the chapel was extended and tower was added to it. In 1942 a new church was built on its place; the tower remained untouched..

The interior of the new church is very simple and light.. Raiffeisen Bank, Deak Ferenc ter 11-12,, ☎ + 36 40 484 848.. Corner of Szomolany (Szomolanyi sarok), Deak ter - Csengery ut corner.. IRON Man House (Former Inn for Landlords, Vasemberhaz, volt uradalmi fogado), Erzsebet ter 1 A symbol of town. The Ironman House was built in baroque style by a landlord in 2850's.. Its name comes from the armoured soldier standing on the facade of the building. Former it was a hardware store.. Town Hall (Nagykanizsai Varoshaza), Erzsebet ter 7 (West of the Erzsebet Square). This is a three storey, almost indecorated building. It was built to serve as a courthouse..

Now it functions as a lawcourt and the centre of local administration. It was built in 1936-37 on the basis of Tibor Hubner and Ferenc K Csaszar plans.. The facade of the palace was decorated by the Hungarian coat of arms, under of its, - in gold letter, - the " Housing Act " message was read.. Since 1990 working here the Mayor's Office. In August 1992, placed on the facade a bronze and enamel municipal coat of arms.. Former Home of Soldiers ? (Kvartelyhaz, iskola), Erzsebet ter 9 (Surrounded by Bathory Street, Vasar Street and Erzsebet Square). This is an L shaped, one story, gabled building..

Top of the facade is Attica closed by attica. Itshas a triple arched entrance gate. There are some arched halls, barrel vaulted corridors. The doorway decorated with Tuscan columns and domed cap The three arm staircase includes Tuscan half columns and columns.. It was built in the 18th century as a manor inn, and still working here until 1850's the Green Tree inn (Zoldfa vendeglo). In 1860 transformed since then, it had been the Courthouse.. It was an internment camp from 1943 to 1945. Since1952 using to elementary school. At the doorway is a Laszlo Csany plaque, 1998 (by Janos Beres)..

Lowi House (Lowi haz), Erzsebet ter 10.. Apartment building (Gutman Palace), Erzsebet ter 11. Classicist styled merchant house. A U shaped, one story monument building with gable roof. It was built around 1820. The street facade of its is closed with a triangular tympanum in middle part.. In the central axis is an arched high, stone framed gate with curb stones so typical of merchant houses. The facade is decorated in fine simplicity. The hanging corridor of the courtyard facade leaning consoles..

The ground floor rooms ceilings are arched. The doorway part is arched and connecting to a three arm staircase. The south wing of the main building later built to the original L shaped building.. In the second half of the 19th century this was the Gutmann merchant family residential house which was also the business headquarters of the company, office and warehouse. The Gutman family was famous all over Europe for their forest products.. From 1952 to 2000 here was one of the departments of the Thury Gyorgy Museum..

Former Granary (Magtar, Vababa Art School, Hungarian Poster House), Erzsebet ter 15. Located in the yard. - There is a granary from the 18th century on the eastern side of the courtyard of the house at 15 Erzsebet Square.. Its facade is topped with a tymphanon and the small stoneframed windows only slightly disrupt the evenness of the wallface. The historic origin of the iron gate is disputed. Now here is the Hungarian Poster House.. Provides a steady place for poster exhibitions. The authentic rustic beams were preserved. and what's more all who enter may admire a still working grain transport machinery..

Small Palace (Small Villa Kiskastely), Erzsebet ter 15. (yard) (Beside the granary). This is a beautiful Neo Classicist styled villa. It was built in 1940's by grain trader, Laszlo Lazar.. Since 1996 a picture gallery is here. The permanent exhibition is here, orientalist paintings of Erzsebet Sass Brunner and Erzsebet Brunner (mother and daughter, who found new home in India) are on continious display also with works of the Kanizsa born painter Istvan Z Soos.. Kaiser House (Kaiser haz), Erzsebet ter 16.. Monumebt building now a printing press and apartments are here.

Golden Deer Hotel (Arany Szarvas Szalloda es Vendeglo), Erzsebet ter 18. The famous Golden Deer Hotel and Restaurant in 1875 began to build by innkeeper Gyorgy Knortzer.. At the time, the Inn has worked in two buildings, in one was the hotel and the cafe and in the the other building was the restaurant. The 32 room inn has become one of the most modern hotels in the region. The main guests were princes, ministers, distinguished foreigners. In the late 1930s, the " Little Deer " inn worked here, led by Janos Hary..

From 1942 to 1950 led by Joseph Szever here the prestigious ' Restaurant Szever '. After the nationalization of the restaurant, - for decades, - worked as the Rose Garden restaurant. - Today, http; / / www. muemlekem. hu / muemlek ?. id = -11236 shops can be find on the ground floor.. Budapest Bank, Erzsebet ter 19. A commercial bank in a monument building. Serbian House (Szerb haz), Erzsebet ter 20. Monument building. Apartments.. Ebenspanger House (Ebenspanger haz), Erzsebet ter 21. Former IBUSZ stately travel office was here.

Hotel Central (Central Szallo), Erzsebet ter 23-24.. A hotel in a monument building. Fountain (Szokokut), Erzsebet ter.. Music Pavilon (Erzsebet teri Zenepavilon), Erzsebet ter. Serving a great opportunity for the city to hold various cultural events. Historical mosaic of Balits Kalman (Balits Kalman tortenelmi tablo mozaik kepe), Erzsebet Square mid part.. Babochay House (Babochay haz), Sugar ut 2.. Civil Unity HQ. (Polgari Egylet szekhaza), Sugar ut 3. Former Theater cinema building (Szinhaz filmszinhaz epulet, Medgyaszay Haz), Sugar ut 5 (Karolyi Garden). The history of the " movies " in Nagykanizsa began in 1896. The building made by t the architect Istvan Medgyaszay, in 1927..

The fascade fresco displays the scene from famous Hungarian plays. In 1930, - after Budapest, - this cinema was the second in the country in which showed sound films. The building in the mid 90s operated as a cinema.. Now venue of exhibitions, theater performances, concerts and other events.. Former Army barracks (Honved laktanya), Sugar ut 9. Former house of the metal worker Lajos Schavel (Schavel Lajos lakatosmester lakasa es muhelye), Sugar ut 10. Built in 1910.. ' Common ' Casarne (" Kozos " laktanya), Sugar ut 11...

Hotel Hungaria (Hungaria Szalloda), Sugar ut 14... Sugar Road Monument Buildings (Sugar ut muemlekepuletei), Sugar ut 16 / a, b, c. Rental house of Town hall (Varoshazi berhaz), Ady Endre u 1 A local level monument building.. Casino Building (Kaszino szekhaz), Ady u.7. A cultural association, founded in 1835. Every citizen of Kanizsa can be a member of its. In 1886, an imposing headquarters built to the membership.. This is a eclectic corner building. The designer was the Viennese architect Ludwig Schone. Build It by a local architect contractor, Morandini. The Ceremonial Hall was the scene of countless theatrical performances and other social gatherings. Also there were reading -, lounge - a bowling - and two card playing rooms. During World War I, used as a hospital. Later formed an exclusively club to the significant number of Nagykanizsa's Judaism community..

Currently works as a casino for Army. A part of the original furniture preserves at the Gyorgy Thury Museum.. Post Palace (Postapalota), Ady Endre u 10.. MAORT Housing Estate (MAORT haz), Ady Endre u 12 (next to the Esplanade). This building was built in 1942-43 by the Oil Industrial Company of Hungary and thew U.S.A. Alsovaros Franciscan Friary (Alsovarosi Szent Jozsef kolostor), Ady Endre u 14.. This is a two story, baroque Franciscan monastery. The main part of its a rectangular building, what enclosing a courtyard..

There is also an L shaped wing. The ceiling frescos of the spacious, richly decorated dining room are destroyed, the beautiful inlaid door now can be see in the Thury Museum. In the summer of 1950 the monks who are living here were deported to gulag.. After that, initially, the monastery was home of the Miklos Zrinyi Boy Student Hostel later the Municipal Library moved to here. Now the building is back in to Franciscan property.. ' Nation ' School (Nemzeti oskola), Zrinyi Miklos and Ady Endre utca corner. A local level monument building..

OTI HQ. (OTI szekhaz), Ady Endre utca 31... Zerkowitz's Houses (Zerkowitz hazak), Ady Endre u 33-35.. Local level monument buildings. Transformator Building (Transzformatorhaz), Ady Endre u 41 entry from Semere Street. A local level industrial monument building.. Israelite mortuary (Izraelita ravatalozo), Ady u (Near to ' MAV Sportcomplex). Monument. Insurance Palace (Biztositopalota), Csengery ut 2 (Opp - Tourinform). Here was the first General Insurance Company what is established in Nagykanizsa in 1857. The palace, was built at the beginning of 19th century, is one of the nicest buildings of the town today..

Its style is a mixture of secession and eclectics. On the Fo street facade of the harmoniously coloured building, level with the attic, there is a tympan with the emblem of the Insurance Company.. Going downwards from the top of the building under the playfully disegned balconies there is a sudden shift into a much more simple style.. Rapoch House (Rapoch haz), Csengery ut 7. Bachrach House (Bachrach haz), Csengery ut 8. Felsokereskedelmi School (Felsokereskedelmi iskola), Csengery ut 10.. Lutheran church (Evangelikus templom), Csengery ut 37., ☎ 93 311 320NOCC, e-mail; nagy... @ lutheran. hu. This is a very nice, well kept church..

Electric Power Station (Villanyero telep), Csengery u 49. (Near to Swimming Pool). A monument building. Coffee Factory (Kavegyar), Csengery ut 88.. Monument buildings on Csengery road, Csengery ut 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 11,14, 17, 39.. Schulhof House (Schulhof haz), Kiraly u 15.. A local level monument building.. Tandor House (Tandor haz), Kiraly u 29. A local level monument building.. Monument building, Kiraly u 35.. A single story, rectangular, gable roofed local level monument building. Built around 1830. A small entrance gate is in alcove on Western part of the facade..

Post House (Postahaz), Kiraly u 37. A local level monument building.. Franciscan church of Alsovaros (Alsovarosi Szent Jozsef templom), Zarda utca. Roman Catholic Franciscan church. Built between 1702-1704, it was rebuilt in 1760. Former military warehouse between 1787-1791 and 1806-1815.. Tower was made in 1816. - A monument; 10964. - It is a built in the Friary. A single nave, gabled church with straight closure shrine. The Bell Tower is at the northeast corner of its.. The Friary's closed yards connected to the western and southern facade of the church. The entrance hall and chapel line attached to the eastern side of the nave. To the eastern side of the sanctuary is the foyer and the oratory..

- The nave, the chapel and the shrine row covered vaulted by ' Czech Loaf '. - Inner part; Typically from the 18th century. The main side altars and the pulpit, around 1750-1760.. The main altar, ordered by Count Lajos Batthyany Chancellor in 1747 a work from Franz Caspar Sambach.. The Assumption Roman Catholic Church (Nagyboldogasszony Romai katolikus templom), Miklosfa, Dr Szentendrei Edgar u 6 (South three km of Train Station). It was built in 1765. Also here is the parish building is erected in 1940's..

Located on a rising ground. A free standing, central, four winged shaped church. Eastern wing includes a stair tower linked to sanctuary and a square shaped, low vestry. A ' Hussar ' tower rises above the sacristy with an off line tower helmet.. In the central axis of West wing is the richly carved, gabled gate with a coat of arms of Festetics. The entrance of the vestry is with straight closure, rock ribbon framed.. Over the entrance is an metal bent arched roof made. The central part of the church is domed. The wings are covered with quarter sphere vault. The new choir made in 1960's using reinforced concrete..

- Murals; in the vaults figurative symbolic painting can be see from second half of 20th century. Interior; typically 19-20th century; the benches made in the late 18th century. The altar table, Easter candle holder, baptismal font; 20th century.. Baby Nursery (Kisdedovoda), Szent Imre u 14 (off Csengery ut). A local level monument building.. Reformed Church (Reformatus templom), Kalvin ter. Based on the plans of Vecsey Barnabas city engineer. Designed by Zoltan Kalmar. Built in Roman school style in 1934. A 28 m long simple buildings with narrow, semicircular windows..

The 19 meters high rectangular tower without a helmet is on the left side of facade. The foyer located next to the tower connected with a wide, stone railing staircase. A tall narrow window and a clock can be seen on the upper part of the main facade's tower.. Sanctuary from the south part with a church hall is connected. Above the entrance is the choir.. Hospital Chapel (Korhazkapolna), Kossuth ter (On the west side of the Kanizsai Dorottya Hospital). The chapel built in 1931 (at the time of the global economic crisis), mainly from public donations..

The main altar located originally at the chapel of St Martin's hospital / today's casino site /. Designed by the city engineer Barnabas Vecsey. The altarpiece depicts St Martin, who sharing his coat with a beggar.. - Part of the Via Sancti Martin (an European Cultural Highway ending / starting in Hungary, Szombathely and pass, - among others, - Nagykanizsa).. Chapel of Forhenc (Forhenci kapolna), Forhenci u (North six km of center Western side of the ridge road Forhenchegy hill). http; / / www. muemlekem. hu / muemlek ?.

id = 10941 Monument. Roman Catholic Chapel. A free standing, single nave chapel with segmental arched closure sanctuary and on the southern facade with a tower, on the west side with a sacristy.. Fragments of frescoes can be see on vault from 1860's, and at sanctuary apse, in 1985 painted by Laszlo Takacs. It was built in 1761. Renovated in 1985. In the churchyard; stone crucifix with corpus, and a niche for St Mary Statue in 1923.. Former Duke Joseph barracks, Dozsa Gyorgy Street (Bolyi Janos utca corner)..

Kiskanizsa Church (Kiskanizsa templom, Sarlos Boldogasszony templom), Templom ter 5 Bajcsy Zsilinszky utca and Homokkomaromi corner (West two km), ☎ + 36 93-789-046, + 36 30-470-1916 (Mobil), e-mail; sarlosboldogasszony. plebania@upcmail. hu.. Piarist Chapel (Piarista kapolna), Sugar ut - and Kiralyi Pal utca corner.. Chapel Inkey (Inkey kapolna), Magyar utca and Palini utca corner (North to Hwy 74, from Erzsebet Square take Magyar Street to the northern end). Only from outside. A baroque chapel..

Built in 1786. - Next to the Inkey chapel was founded a tomb of a child in ancient chapel in the second cemetery (attached to the Roman estate, Villa Rustica).. Great Hungary Statue, Eotvos ter.. Trading School (Kereskedelmi iskola), Zrinyi Miklos u 33-38 (Ady E u corner). A local level monument building.. The Esplanade " Setakert " (Setakert, literally Walking Garden), Liget utca, Tripammer Gyula utca (near to MAORT Building). on 4 ha is the grandest park of the town.. Opened in 1896 in honour of the Millenium. The first part built on farms of Kiskanizsa neigborhood. The founder Gyula Tripammer, himself planted in the garden, and nursed him until his death..

- Since beginning of the 20th century it was a very lively park; I every Sundays Gypsy music, military music and confectionery attracted the audience. The park named officially to " Tripammer Garden " by Town Assembly in 1927.. But the locals allways called it as " Setakert ". From 1930 started to reduce the area of ​ ​ the park, first built there the City Bath (Strandfurdo), and later to the construction of housing project MAORT also carved out some areas.. - The ornamental ebtrance of its renovated in 2000..

Iron frame house (Vasvazas Haz), Var u 9 A local level monument building.. MAORT housing project (MAORT telep, „ MAORT kemp "), Olaj utca (in the ' Setakert ' (lit Walking Garden) neighborhood, South from Railroad (Budapest Szekesfehervar Nagykanizsa line), west from Public Cemetery (Koztemeto)).. A nationally unique settlement. Built in the 1940s on a property, which offered by the city to developers. After production of the Zala oil fields ran, became necessery to build houses for engineers, officials, workers of MAORT..

(MAORT = Magyar Amerikai Olajipari Rt (lit Hungarian American Oil Co). The construction has begun before the WW2, but completed only after the war. Since 1992 the all area is a monument and protected by on local level.. Szechenyi Square (Szechenyi ter). Heart of Jesus Roman Catholic Church on west, Hevesi Sandor Cultural Center on east is located.. Zalakaros spa bath. The European famous Zalakaros spa bath (open all year) is effective to cure the problems of arthritis, women's diseases, disorders of the nervous system and gum's inflammation..

15 km away. Regular bus connection. - Stay; Hotel Freya, Termal utca 7 (Right next to Spa), ☎ + 36 93 340-125, e-mail; hotelfreya@hunguesthotels.com. and a dozen other options here..

What To See

Includes; Deak ter (Deak Square). - List made based on growing house number. Grunhut House (Grunhut haz), Deak ter 2 Only from outside. A romanticist building. This was the house of a rich grain merchant, banker and art collector, Alfred Grundhunt.. His flat was on the floor, the groundfloor and the courtyard accomodated an office and warehouses. Specialty of on its facade is the oriental piece above the balcony.. Hild House (Hild haz), Deak Ferenc ter 3. Roman catholic Parish House (R k plebaniahaz), Deak ter 4 It was former the Lackenbacher House. - An L shaped, one story building. The street side is gabled, the wing of the court with half gabled roof covered..

The arched entrance gate located at Eastern end of the Street facade. In the Middle of the facade on the second floor can be see a wrought iron balcony with consoles. The facade decorated with plaster in romantic style.. The ceilings of the ground floor rooms are made mostly ' barrel vault '. To the second floor a three arm, vaulted staircase leading. Built in the 1860's by Heinrich Lackenbacher, - who was that time, - the main food dealer of the Austrian military.. From 1898 it was owned by Fulop Grunhut grain merchant (Deak ter 2 also was his property). Since1940 the building operates as parish hall of the R C Sacred Heart Church..

Axenti House (Axenti haz), Deak ter 5. L shaped, one story building with gabled roof. The gate located in the Eastern edge's axis of the stret's facade. On the South facade of the courtyard wing is the Classicist grid lines hanging corridor decorated with the builder's monogram.. The rooms in the northern wing of the ground floor covered by ' carapace ' and ' barrel ' vaults. The upstairs rooms are mat plane ceiling. The windows are made in the second half of the 19th century and early 20th century..

Gyorgy Axente, a Greek leather merchant, built in 1817. Between 1845-1872 operated on the floor the Savings Bank of Nagykanizsa. From 1891, here was a shop of Reichenfeld Gyula wholesaler.. The main facade decorated by Deak Ferenc bust (Gyorgy Fischer) 1997.. Konig House (Konig haz), Deak ter 7. Pollak House (Pollak haz), Deak ter 10... Former Bayer House (Bajer haz), Deak ter 12.. A monument. A nice one storey building. Now Cafe Muskatli. Rosenfeld House (Rosenfeld haz), Fo ut 4.. Thury Gyorgy Museum (Former Batthyany Mansion, Batthyany kastely, Thury Gyorgy Muzeum), Fo utca 5-7. Located in the oldest dwelling house of town. It was built between 1705–12. It was owned by the Count Batthyany family..

For the construct used the bricks of remains of the Kanizsa Castle, therefor locals mentioned as the ducal castle. Two story baroque building with arched gate and ' kvader ' stony ground level.. In the courtyard of the Museum is located under the protective roof, - an original Turkish Fountain, whose rectangular stone basin derived from Ottoman period's Kanizsa Castle. - Exhibitions; the history of the territory from the Little Balaton's western basin to the river Mura from Neolithic till the Middle Ages..

- The other part describes the region's leading town, Nagykanizsa, focusing on its 18th century. - The empire furnishings of the Black Eagle drugstore were placed in a separate room, completely restored and first opened to the public.. The exhibition has been made even more enjoyable through interactive computer programs. - There are shops on the street side.. The Synagogue and " Jewis h House " (Zsinagoga), Fo ut 6. Classicist style, erected between 1807 and 1822. It was built in a courtyard. In the middle of the last century it was extended and decorated..

There is memorial for the 3000 Jews, who died in the concentration camps of World War II. The one storey classicist building facing the street is also owned by the Jewish Community.. Bazaar Yard and the Savings Bank (Bazar udvar), Fo ut 8 The Savings Bank of Southern Zala was established in 1870. Mostly it dealt with agricultutal credit operations. Rebuilt in 1881 in eclectic style with a very nicely ornamented facade.. This is a three storey building. Its looks to two streets. Also it has two inner courtyards. These inner courtyards were surrounded by several shops; that is why it was called the " Bazaar "..

- Now its courtyards has accommodated exclusive and intimate music concerts in summer.. Weiser House (Weiser haz, Wellisch haz), Fo ut 9. A baroque, citizen gable house. The building citations 18th century cityscape, one of the last of this kind in the City.. Originally a shop operating here, the owners were merchants of colonial goods and spice. In the second half of the 19th century, Samuel Wellisch since 1901, Jakab Rosenthal were shopkeepers here.. From 1930's years, Rezso Kelemen spices -, delicate - colonial goods wholesale and retail store operated here..

Garage for Coaches (Kocsiszin), Fo ut 10 (Inner yard).. Bogenrieder Palace (Bogenrieder palota), Fo ut 13. A masterpiece of Secessions style. It is remarkable for its lively ornaments and variety of forms. It was once owned by a wealthy pharmacist.. Jewish House (Black Eagle pharmacy Museum), Fo ut 6. In this house used to be one of the oldest pharmacies of the historic Hungary. Here can be see a museum with empire style furniture.. Bank Palace (Bankpalota), Fo ut 16.. Established in 1879 as the suboffice of the Austro Hungarian Savings Bank. This Bank is one of the oldest in Hungary. Thepalace was built with a splendid cupola looking onto the main square on the plans of Jozsef Hubert..

Is was completed in 1902-1903 in Eclectic style. The its interior bears all the features of a financial institution. This was a regional unit of the National Bank between 1924 and 1987 and of the Credit Bank (Kereskedelmi es Hitelbank) after 1987.. Sacred Heart church (Felsotemplom, Jezus Szive Plebaniatemplom), Deak ter. Monument. Roman Catholic church. One of the Churches in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Kaposvar. - Former here was a cemetery.. In 1764 a chapel was built in honour of St John of Napomuk for the Piarist Fathers. In 1824 the chapel was extended and tower was added to it. In 1942 a new church was built on its place; the tower remained untouched..

The interior of the new church is very simple and light.. Raiffeisen Bank, Deak Ferenc ter 11-12,, ☎ + 36 40 484 848.. Corner of Szomolany (Szomolanyi sarok), Deak ter - Csengery ut corner.. IRON Man House (Former Inn for Landlords, Vasemberhaz, volt uradalmi fogado), Erzsebet ter 1 A symbol of town. The Ironman House was built in baroque style by a landlord in 2850's.. Its name comes from the armoured soldier standing on the facade of the building. Former it was a hardware store.. Town Hall (Nagykanizsai Varoshaza), Erzsebet ter 7 (West of the Erzsebet Square). This is a three storey, almost indecorated building. It was built to serve as a courthouse..

Now it functions as a lawcourt and the centre of local administration. It was built in 1936-37 on the basis of Tibor Hubner and Ferenc K Csaszar plans.. The facade of the palace was decorated by the Hungarian coat of arms, under of its, - in gold letter, - the " Housing Act " message was read.. Since 1990 working here the Mayor's Office. In August 1992, placed on the facade a bronze and enamel municipal coat of arms.. Former Home of Soldiers ? (Kvartelyhaz, iskola), Erzsebet ter 9 (Surrounded by Bathory Street, Vasar Street and Erzsebet Square). This is an L shaped, one story, gabled building..

Top of the facade is Attica closed by attica. Itshas a triple arched entrance gate. There are some arched halls, barrel vaulted corridors. The doorway decorated with Tuscan columns and domed cap The three arm staircase includes Tuscan half columns and columns.. It was built in the 18th century as a manor inn, and still working here until 1850's the Green Tree inn (Zoldfa vendeglo). In 1860 transformed since then, it had been the Courthouse.. It was an internment camp from 1943 to 1945. Since1952 using to elementary school. At the doorway is a Laszlo Csany plaque, 1998 (by Janos Beres)..

Lowi House (Lowi haz), Erzsebet ter 10.. Apartment building (Gutman Palace), Erzsebet ter 11. Classicist styled merchant house. A U shaped, one story monument building with gable roof. It was built around 1820. The street facade of its is closed with a triangular tympanum in middle part.. In the central axis is an arched high, stone framed gate with curb stones so typical of merchant houses. The facade is decorated in fine simplicity. The hanging corridor of the courtyard facade leaning consoles..

The ground floor rooms ceilings are arched. The doorway part is arched and connecting to a three arm staircase. The south wing of the main building later built to the original L shaped building.. In the second half of the 19th century this was the Gutmann merchant family residential house which was also the business headquarters of the company, office and warehouse. The Gutman family was famous all over Europe for their forest products.. From 1952 to 2000 here was one of the departments of the Thury Gyorgy Museum..

Former Granary (Magtar, Vababa Art School, Hungarian Poster House), Erzsebet ter 15. Located in the yard. - There is a granary from the 18th century on the eastern side of the courtyard of the house at 15 Erzsebet Square.. Its facade is topped with a tymphanon and the small stoneframed windows only slightly disrupt the evenness of the wallface. The historic origin of the iron gate is disputed. Now here is the Hungarian Poster House.. Provides a steady place for poster exhibitions. The authentic rustic beams were preserved. and what's more all who enter may admire a still working grain transport machinery..

Small Palace (Small Villa Kiskastely), Erzsebet ter 15. (yard) (Beside the granary). This is a beautiful Neo Classicist styled villa. It was built in 1940's by grain trader, Laszlo Lazar.. Since 1996 a picture gallery is here. The permanent exhibition is here, orientalist paintings of Erzsebet Sass Brunner and Erzsebet Brunner (mother and daughter, who found new home in India) are on continious display also with works of the Kanizsa born painter Istvan Z Soos.. Kaiser House (Kaiser haz), Erzsebet ter 16.. Monumebt building now a printing press and apartments are here.

Golden Deer Hotel (Arany Szarvas Szalloda es Vendeglo), Erzsebet ter 18. The famous Golden Deer Hotel and Restaurant in 1875 began to build by innkeeper Gyorgy Knortzer.. At the time, the Inn has worked in two buildings, in one was the hotel and the cafe and in the the other building was the restaurant. The 32 room inn has become one of the most modern hotels in the region. The main guests were princes, ministers, distinguished foreigners. In the late 1930s, the " Little Deer " inn worked here, led by Janos Hary..

From 1942 to 1950 led by Joseph Szever here the prestigious ' Restaurant Szever '. After the nationalization of the restaurant, - for decades, - worked as the Rose Garden restaurant. - Today, http; / / www. muemlekem. hu / muemlek ?. id = -11236 shops can be find on the ground floor.. Budapest Bank, Erzsebet ter 19. A commercial bank in a monument building. Serbian House (Szerb haz), Erzsebet ter 20. Monument building. Apartments.. Ebenspanger House (Ebenspanger haz), Erzsebet ter 21. Former IBUSZ stately travel office was here.

Hotel Central (Central Szallo), Erzsebet ter 23-24.. A hotel in a monument building. Fountain (Szokokut), Erzsebet ter.. Music Pavilon (Erzsebet teri Zenepavilon), Erzsebet ter. Serving a great opportunity for the city to hold various cultural events. Historical mosaic of Balits Kalman (Balits Kalman tortenelmi tablo mozaik kepe), Erzsebet Square mid part.. Babochay House (Babochay haz), Sugar ut 2.. Civil Unity HQ. (Polgari Egylet szekhaza), Sugar ut 3. Former Theater cinema building (Szinhaz filmszinhaz epulet, Medgyaszay Haz), Sugar ut 5 (Karolyi Garden). The history of the " movies " in Nagykanizsa began in 1896. The building made by t the architect Istvan Medgyaszay, in 1927..

The fascade fresco displays the scene from famous Hungarian plays. In 1930, - after Budapest, - this cinema was the second in the country in which showed sound films. The building in the mid 90s operated as a cinema.. Now venue of exhibitions, theater performances, concerts and other events.. Former Army barracks (Honved laktanya), Sugar ut 9. Former house of the metal worker Lajos Schavel (Schavel Lajos lakatosmester lakasa es muhelye), Sugar ut 10. Built in 1910.. ' Common ' Casarne (" Kozos " laktanya), Sugar ut 11...

Hotel Hungaria (Hungaria Szalloda), Sugar ut 14... Sugar Road Monument Buildings (Sugar ut muemlekepuletei), Sugar ut 16 / a, b, c. Rental house of Town hall (Varoshazi berhaz), Ady Endre u 1 A local level monument building.. Casino Building (Kaszino szekhaz), Ady u.7. A cultural association, founded in 1835. Every citizen of Kanizsa can be a member of its. In 1886, an imposing headquarters built to the membership.. This is a eclectic corner building. The designer was the Viennese architect Ludwig Schone. Build It by a local architect contractor, Morandini. The Ceremonial Hall was the scene of countless theatrical performances and other social gatherings. Also there were reading -, lounge - a bowling - and two card playing rooms. During World War I, used as a hospital. Later formed an exclusively club to the significant number of Nagykanizsa's Judaism community..

Currently works as a casino for Army. A part of the original furniture preserves at the Gyorgy Thury Museum.. Post Palace (Postapalota), Ady Endre u 10.. MAORT Housing Estate (MAORT haz), Ady Endre u 12 (next to the Esplanade). This building was built in 1942-43 by the Oil Industrial Company of Hungary and thew U.S.A. Alsovaros Franciscan Friary (Alsovarosi Szent Jozsef kolostor), Ady Endre u 14.. This is a two story, baroque Franciscan monastery. The main part of its a rectangular building, what enclosing a courtyard..

There is also an L shaped wing. The ceiling frescos of the spacious, richly decorated dining room are destroyed, the beautiful inlaid door now can be see in the Thury Museum. In the summer of 1950 the monks who are living here were deported to gulag.. After that, initially, the monastery was home of the Miklos Zrinyi Boy Student Hostel later the Municipal Library moved to here. Now the building is back in to Franciscan property.. ' Nation ' School (Nemzeti oskola), Zrinyi Miklos and Ady Endre utca corner. A local level monument building..

OTI HQ. (OTI szekhaz), Ady Endre utca 31... Zerkowitz's Houses (Zerkowitz hazak), Ady Endre u 33-35.. Local level monument buildings. Transformator Building (Transzformatorhaz), Ady Endre u 41 entry from Semere Street. A local level industrial monument building.. Israelite mortuary (Izraelita ravatalozo), Ady u (Near to ' MAV Sportcomplex). Monument. Insurance Palace (Biztositopalota), Csengery ut 2 (Opp - Tourinform). Here was the first General Insurance Company what is established in Nagykanizsa in 1857. The palace, was built at the beginning of 19th century, is one of the nicest buildings of the town today..

Its style is a mixture of secession and eclectics. On the Fo street facade of the harmoniously coloured building, level with the attic, there is a tympan with the emblem of the Insurance Company.. Going downwards from the top of the building under the playfully disegned balconies there is a sudden shift into a much more simple style.. Rapoch House (Rapoch haz), Csengery ut 7. Bachrach House (Bachrach haz), Csengery ut 8. Felsokereskedelmi School (Felsokereskedelmi iskola), Csengery ut 10.. Lutheran church (Evangelikus templom), Csengery ut 37., ☎ 93 311 320NOCC, e-mail; nagy... @ lutheran. hu. This is a very nice, well kept church..

Electric Power Station (Villanyero telep), Csengery u 49. (Near to Swimming Pool). A monument building. Coffee Factory (Kavegyar), Csengery ut 88.. Monument buildings on Csengery road, Csengery ut 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 11,14, 17, 39.. Schulhof House (Schulhof haz), Kiraly u 15.. A local level monument building.. Tandor House (Tandor haz), Kiraly u 29. A local level monument building.. Monument building, Kiraly u 35.. A single story, rectangular, gable roofed local level monument building. Built around 1830. A small entrance gate is in alcove on Western part of the facade..

Post House (Postahaz), Kiraly u 37. A local level monument building.. Franciscan church of Alsovaros (Alsovarosi Szent Jozsef templom), Zarda utca. Roman Catholic Franciscan church. Built between 1702-1704, it was rebuilt in 1760. Former military warehouse between 1787-1791 and 1806-1815.. Tower was made in 1816. - A monument; 10964. - It is a built in the Friary. A single nave, gabled church with straight closure shrine. The Bell Tower is at the northeast corner of its.. The Friary's closed yards connected to the western and southern facade of the church. The entrance hall and chapel line attached to the eastern side of the nave. To the eastern side of the sanctuary is the foyer and the oratory..

- The nave, the chapel and the shrine row covered vaulted by ' Czech Loaf '. - Inner part; Typically from the 18th century. The main side altars and the pulpit, around 1750-1760.. The main altar, ordered by Count Lajos Batthyany Chancellor in 1747 a work from Franz Caspar Sambach.. The Assumption Roman Catholic Church (Nagyboldogasszony Romai katolikus templom), Miklosfa, Dr Szentendrei Edgar u 6 (South three km of Train Station). It was built in 1765. Also here is the parish building is erected in 1940's..

Located on a rising ground. A free standing, central, four winged shaped church. Eastern wing includes a stair tower linked to sanctuary and a square shaped, low vestry. A ' Hussar ' tower rises above the sacristy with an off line tower helmet.. In the central axis of West wing is the richly carved, gabled gate with a coat of arms of Festetics. The entrance of the vestry is with straight closure, rock ribbon framed.. Over the entrance is an metal bent arched roof made. The central part of the church is domed. The wings are covered with quarter sphere vault. The new choir made in 1960's using reinforced concrete..

- Murals; in the vaults figurative symbolic painting can be see from second half of 20th century. Interior; typically 19-20th century; the benches made in the late 18th century. The altar table, Easter candle holder, baptismal font; 20th century.. Baby Nursery (Kisdedovoda), Szent Imre u 14 (off Csengery ut). A local level monument building.. Reformed Church (Reformatus templom), Kalvin ter. Based on the plans of Vecsey Barnabas city engineer. Designed by Zoltan Kalmar. Built in Roman school style in 1934. A 28 m long simple buildings with narrow, semicircular windows..

The 19 meters high rectangular tower without a helmet is on the left side of facade. The foyer located next to the tower connected with a wide, stone railing staircase. A tall narrow window and a clock can be seen on the upper part of the main facade's tower.. Sanctuary from the south part with a church hall is connected. Above the entrance is the choir.. Hospital Chapel (Korhazkapolna), Kossuth ter (On the west side of the Kanizsai Dorottya Hospital). The chapel built in 1931 (at the time of the global economic crisis), mainly from public donations..

The main altar located originally at the chapel of St Martin's hospital / today's casino site /. Designed by the city engineer Barnabas Vecsey. The altarpiece depicts St Martin, who sharing his coat with a beggar.. - Part of the Via Sancti Martin (an European Cultural Highway ending / starting in Hungary, Szombathely and pass, - among others, - Nagykanizsa).. Chapel of Forhenc (Forhenci kapolna), Forhenci u (North six km of center Western side of the ridge road Forhenchegy hill). http; / / www. muemlekem. hu / muemlek ?.

id = 10941 Monument. Roman Catholic Chapel. A free standing, single nave chapel with segmental arched closure sanctuary and on the southern facade with a tower, on the west side with a sacristy.. Fragments of frescoes can be see on vault from 1860's, and at sanctuary apse, in 1985 painted by Laszlo Takacs. It was built in 1761. Renovated in 1985. In the churchyard; stone crucifix with corpus, and a niche for St Mary Statue in 1923.. Former Duke Joseph barracks, Dozsa Gyorgy Street (Bolyi Janos utca corner)..

Kiskanizsa Church (Kiskanizsa templom, Sarlos Boldogasszony templom), Templom ter 5 Bajcsy Zsilinszky utca and Homokkomaromi corner (West two km), ☎ + 36 93-789-046, + 36 30-470-1916 (Mobil), e-mail; sarlosboldogasszony. plebania@upcmail. hu.. Piarist Chapel (Piarista kapolna), Sugar ut - and Kiralyi Pal utca corner.. Chapel Inkey (Inkey kapolna), Magyar utca and Palini utca corner (North to Hwy 74, from Erzsebet Square take Magyar Street to the northern end). Only from outside. A baroque chapel..

Built in 1786. - Next to the Inkey chapel was founded a tomb of a child in ancient chapel in the second cemetery (attached to the Roman estate, Villa Rustica).. Great Hungary Statue, Eotvos ter.. Trading School (Kereskedelmi iskola), Zrinyi Miklos u 33-38 (Ady E u corner). A local level monument building.. The Esplanade " Setakert " (Setakert, literally Walking Garden), Liget utca, Tripammer Gyula utca (near to MAORT Building). on 4 ha is the grandest park of the town.. Opened in 1896 in honour of the Millenium. The first part built on farms of Kiskanizsa neigborhood. The founder Gyula Tripammer, himself planted in the garden, and nursed him until his death..

- Since beginning of the 20th century it was a very lively park; I every Sundays Gypsy music, military music and confectionery attracted the audience. The park named officially to " Tripammer Garden " by Town Assembly in 1927.. But the locals allways called it as " Setakert ". From 1930 started to reduce the area of ​ ​ the park, first built there the City Bath (Strandfurdo), and later to the construction of housing project MAORT also carved out some areas.. - The ornamental ebtrance of its renovated in 2000..

Iron frame house (Vasvazas Haz), Var u 9 A local level monument building.. MAORT housing project (MAORT telep, „ MAORT kemp "), Olaj utca (in the ' Setakert ' (lit Walking Garden) neighborhood, South from Railroad (Budapest Szekesfehervar Nagykanizsa line), west from Public Cemetery (Koztemeto)).. A nationally unique settlement. Built in the 1940s on a property, which offered by the city to developers. After production of the Zala oil fields ran, became necessery to build houses for engineers, officials, workers of MAORT..

(MAORT = Magyar Amerikai Olajipari Rt (lit Hungarian American Oil Co). The construction has begun before the WW2, but completed only after the war. Since 1992 the all area is a monument and protected by on local level.. Szechenyi Square (Szechenyi ter). Heart of Jesus Roman Catholic Church on west, Hevesi Sandor Cultural Center on east is located.. Zalakaros spa bath. The European famous Zalakaros spa bath (open all year) is effective to cure the problems of arthritis, women's diseases, disorders of the nervous system and gum's inflammation..

15 km away. Regular bus connection. - Stay; Hotel Freya, Termal utca 7 (Right next to Spa), ☎ + 36 93 340-125, e-mail; hotelfreya@hunguesthotels.com. and a dozen other options here..

What To Do

In the town you can find a 20 m long covered swimming pool with saunas and solariums, several shops, supermarkets, shopping centres, theatre and concert hall, discos and night clubs.. In the suburb there are possibilities for riding horses, wellness services and medical bath in Zalakaros, at the weekends organized cycling tours and hikes.. The water of the 15 km far, European famous Zalakaros spa bath (open all year) is allegedly effective in curing problems of arthritis, women's diseases, disorders of the nervous system and gum's inflammation..

The 2-3 week long bath cure is supposed to be excellent for regaining your energies in case of tiredness or exhaustion.. There are famous hunting areas, thermal baths, and healthcare centres to provide people with fantastic opportunities to spend free time actively. The artificial boating lake on the eastern edge of the town is an ideal spot for hikers, fishing and water sport enthusiasts.. There is a large number of sport facilities in town for tourists and residents. There is a swimming pool, a city pool, various sport halls, sport pitches and courses not only for footballers, tennis players, and fencers but even for baseball and motocross fans as well..

City Bath (Strandfurdo, Kanizsa Uszoda es Strandfurdo Nagykanizsa), Csengery ut 49. 9; 00-16; 45, (Until 2014 renovation, partly closed).. Services; Swimming pool, Outdoor section, Finnish sauna, Infrared sauna, a Jacuzzi, massage, baby swimming, Aqua Fitness, Fitness, swimming lessons, Snack Bar.. Adult ticket HUF800, between 6-18 years or retired HUF600, Finnish sauna incl. Jacuzzi use, HUF1050, Infrared sauna (35 minutes) HUF600, Towel hire 350, Women's swimsuit rental HUF460, Men's swimwear rental HUF460, Bathing cap rental HUF400..

City Library (Nagykanizsai Halis Istvan Varosi konyvtar), Kalvin ter 5, ☎ + 36 93 510024. M, W, F; 13.00 - 18.30, Tu, Th; 9.00-16.00.. Sandor Hevesi Community Center (Hevesi Sandor Muvelodesi Kozpont), Korhaz utca corner. Weekdays 14; 00 - 18; 00.. February - Nagykanizsai National Doughnut Festival (Nagykanizsai Orszagos Fankfesztival). 3rd or 4th weekend of April - City Day (Nagykanizsa Varos Napja). June - Military International Equestrian Show (Military Nemzetkozi Lovastusa). June - International Jumping Competition (Nemzetkozi Dijugrato verseny).

July - Cserfo Jazzland (Cserfo JazzLand). July - Summer Theatre (Konnyed Nyari Szinhaz). July - Technical Sport Competition (Technikai Negytusa). August - Festival Igric (Igric Fesztival). August - International Folk Dance Festival of Zala County (Zalai Nemzetkozi Neptancfesztival). September - Wine and Dodolle (potato dish) Festival (Kanizsai Bor - es Dodolle Fesztival). October - Kanizsa International Jazz and World Music Festival (Kanizsa Nemzetkozi Jazz - es Vilagzenei Fesztival). Csengey Denes Poetry and Prose Contest of the Carpathian Basin (Karpat medencei Csengey Denes Vers es Prozamondo Verseny).

Ludvig Artists Colony (Ludvig Muvesztelep). Nagykanizsai Boating Lake (Nagykanizsai Csonakazo to), Kaposvari u, ☎ + 36 93 313-396. A Nagykanizsa kozpontjatol 4,5 km tavolsagra kialakitott mesterseges to kornyeken minden evszakban talalhatunk szamunkra megfelelo szabadidos programot.. Az orszag egyik legszebb fekvesu kis tava horgaszasra, vizibiciklizesre es csonakazasra is alkalmas. Telen szankozni es korcsolyazni is lehet. A furotoronybol kialakitott kilatoba jelenleg nem lehet felmenni, de a kornyezo erdo barangolasra csabitja a latogatokat..

Toledo Horse Association (Toledo Lovas Egyesulet), Nagykanizsa Palin, ☎ + 36 30 552-3466 (Mobil).. Kogaz Leisure Club (Kogaz Szabadido Klub), Var u 2, ☎ + 36 30 378-9328 (Mobil).. Ropte Tennis Club (Ropte Tenisz Klub), Ady u 72 / B, ☎ + 36 30 912-9376 (Mobil). FORMAT.. Tennis Club of Kanizsa Sport Association (Kanizsa Tenisz Klub SE), Virag Benedek u 2, ☎ + 36 20 353-4778 (Mobil).. Squash Court (Squash palya), Centrum udvar, ☎ + 36 30 288-7500 (Mobil).. Sun Dya Fitness Center (Szan Dia Fitness Center), Kinizsi u 11., ☎ Tel; + 36 93 737-787FORMATNOCC..

Kanizsa Spinning Club, Zrinyi u 46, ☎ + 36 30 246-1388 (Mobil).. Letenye thermalbath (Letenye thermalfurdo), Letenye (Take Motorway 7 toward west). Located in the Park of Szapary castle. 50 C thermal water. 33x20 meters large swimming pool, a circular children's pool, volleyball and beach football fields.. Sport center (Mindenki Sportpalyaja), Kaan Karoly u 20., ☎ + 36 93 516-851, + 36 30 947-7108 (Mobil), e-mail; sport szallo@freemail. hu.. Here is also the Sport Motel Fees for sports courts; Large grass football pitch HUF6000 8000 / hour, Small cinder track HUF2000 / hour, Bituminous handball court HUF500 / hour, Bituminous basketball court HUF500 / hour, Volleyball court HUF500 / hour, Athletics track 5,000 / hour, Tennis Court fee; HUF800 / hour, HUF1000 per two hours, Artificial grass football field HUF3,000 / hour..

Ski and toboggan track (Si es szankopalya), Ujudvar. There is a 600 m long course with 95 m elevation difference. In the county this is the only ski resort. The slope is ideal for beginners.. Lift and warming house is available..

How To Get In

Nagykanizsa Bus Station (Nagykanizsa Autobusz allomas), Bathory u 2 (West of Downtown), ☎ + 36 93 311-420, + 36 93 509-735 (Prebooking Cash Desk). Interurban schedule.. - Long distance buses Ajka (six per day, two hours), Alsopahok (hourly more), Aszofo (eight), Abrahamhegy (seven), Badacsony (ten per day, one and half hours), Szigliget (six per day, one and half hours), Bak (ten), Balatonakali (six), Balatonalmadi (three), Balatonboglar (three per day, cca one and half hours), Balatonederics (ten), Balatonfured (six +), Balatonfuzfo (two), Balatongyorok (.

hourly), Balatonlelle (three), Balatonmariafurdo (three), Balatonrendes (six +), Balatonszentgyorgy (hourly), Balatonszepezd (six), Balatonudvari (six), Banokszentgyorgy (hourly), Becehegy (hourly), Becsehely (hourly), Bikal (daily), Bocska four), Bonyhad (two), Bohonye (hourly), Budapest (hourly), Celldomolk (daily), Cserszegtomaj (six), Csesztreg (six +), Csopak six), Csornyefold (four), Csurgo (. four), Devecser (six), Dioskal (six), Dobogomajor (five), Dunafoldvar, Egeraracsa (five), Egervar (three), Esztergalyhorvati (six), Fakospuszta (five), Felsobarand major (hourly), Felsopahok (hourly), Fenekpuszta (four), Fonyod (three), Galambok (hourly), Garabonc (five), Gellenhaza (hourly), Gelse (three), Gyenesdias (half hourly), Gyor (four), Hagyarosborond (three), Hahot (hourly.

), Hegyesd (four), Herend two), Heviz (every twenty minutes), Inke (three), Kapolcs (four), Kaposvar (hourly), Karmacs (hourly), Kald two), Kalocfa three), Kam (daily), Kaptalanfa (three), Kecskemet (daily), Kehidakustyany (five), Kemendollar (hourly), Kerkabarabas (three), Kerkeszentkiraly (three), Keszthely (every twenty minutes), Kethely (hourly), Kophaza (three), Kozmadombja (. three), Kormend (six), Koszeg (three), Lenti (half hourly), Lesenceistvand (five), Lesencetomaj (five), Letenye (hourly), Lispeszentadorjan (three), Lovaszi (four), Lovo (three), Magyarszerdahely (three), Magyarszentmiklos (five), Marcali (hourly), Mariahegy (four), Meggyeserdo, (three), Melykut (three), Mihalyfa (hourly), Mikekaracsonyfa (three), Misefa (three), Monostorapati (four),.

Mor (daily), Morahalom (three), Nagyatad (four), Nagybajom (three), Nagycenk (three), Nagygorbo (four), Nagyhorvati (three), Nagykapornak (hourly), Nagylengyel (five), Nagyrada (five), Nagyvazsony (four), Nemeshany (three), Nemesnep (three), Nemesrado (four), Nikla (three), Noszlop (four), Nyirad (five), Nyirlak (four), Ohid (four), Oroszlany (two),. Oriszentpeter (three), Pacsa (hourly), Pakod (six), Paloznak (two), Paka (five), Papa (four), Pertikeresztur (five), Pecs (hourly), Poganyszentpeter (five), Rezi (daily), Revfulop (five), Salomvar (three), Sarhida (five), Sarmellek (five), Sarvar (three), Siofok (two), Somogyvar (two), Sopron (three), Sojtor (three), Sumeg (hourly),.

Szabadbattyan (two), Szajk Lakes (daily), Szeged (two), Szekszard (daily), Szentgyorgyvar (hourly), Szentgyorgyvolgy (three), Szentliszlo (three), Szentpeterur (three), Szekesfehervar (five), Szigetvar (five), Szigliget (hourly), Szombathely (hourly), Tapolca (hourly), Tatabanya (three), Tornyiszentmiklos (four), Totszentmarton (three), Totvazsonyi (four), Torekpuszta (five), Turje (five), Vasvar (three). , Varpalota (three), Varvolgy (four), Velemer (two), Veszprem (hourly), Vindornyafok (four), Vonyarcvashegy (half hourly), Zalaapati (half hourly), Zalabaksa (five), Zalaber (half hourly), Zalacsany (half hourly), Zalacseb (three), Zalaegerszeg (three per hour), Zalahalap (three), Zalakaros (hourly), Zalakomar (three), Zalalovo (hourly), Zalaszabar (hourly), Zalaszanto (three), Zalaszentbalazs (hourly.

), Zalaszentgrot (half hourly), Zalaszentgrot / Aranyod (five), Zalaszentgyorgy (three), Zalaszentivan (eight), Zalaszentlaszlo (three), Zalaszentmarton (three), Zalaszentmihaly (five), Zalatarnok (three), Zalaudvarnok (three), Zalavar (four), Zamardi (two), Zagorhida (three), Zanka (seven).. - All settlments of Zala and almost all Somogy County have daily bus connection with Nagykanizsa.. (up to per day bus lines), in school season and on weekdays are more bus, except resort place (around Lake Balaton, and Termal Bath Town such as Heviz, Zalakaros, Kehidakustany) where opposite way weekends, holidays are the most busy times in the bus transportation..

Nagykanizsa Train Station (Nagykanizsa Vasutallomas), Ady Endre utca 69 (S one km from Center), ☎ + 36 93 311 059. 24/7. The railway station of Nagykanizsa was built in accordance with the standard plans of the Austrian Southern Railway Society.. - Trains from Budapest via Szekesfehervar, Siofok, Balatonlelle, Fonyod moving on the South Coast of the Lake Balaton. To Keszthely or Tapolca first must to take an eastbound train to Balatonszentgyorgy (41km) and there need to change for an other one..

Toward west there are direct international trains via Murakeresztur to Ljubljana and via Gyekenyes to Zagreb. To North Szombathely (102km) via Zalaszentlorinc (57km away, which is junction point to Zalaegerszeg plus 25km), To Sopron and Koszeg must to change at Szombathely.. Toward South; to Pecs (148 km) via Szigetvar (114 km) four six per day - Services; e ticket collecting point, ticket machine, lifts for disabled, bus connection, disabled lavatory.

Videos

What To Do

In the town you can find a 20 m long covered swimming pool with saunas and solariums, several shops, supermarkets, shopping centres, theatre and concert hall, discos and night clubs.. In the suburb there are possibilities for riding horses, wellness services and medical bath in Zalakaros, at the weekends organized cycling tours and hikes.. The water of the 15 km far, European famous Zalakaros spa bath (open all year) is allegedly effective in curing problems of arthritis, women's diseases, disorders of the nervous system and gum's inflammation..

The 2-3 week long bath cure is supposed to be excellent for regaining your energies in case of tiredness or exhaustion.. There are famous hunting areas, thermal baths, and healthcare centres to provide people with fantastic opportunities to spend free time actively. The artificial boating lake on the eastern edge of the town is an ideal spot for hikers, fishing and water sport enthusiasts.. There is a large number of sport facilities in town for tourists and residents. There is a swimming pool, a city pool, various sport halls, sport pitches and courses not only for footballers, tennis players, and fencers but even for baseball and motocross fans as well..

City Bath (Strandfurdo, Kanizsa Uszoda es Strandfurdo Nagykanizsa), Csengery ut 49. 9; 00-16; 45, (Until 2014 renovation, partly closed).. Services; Swimming pool, Outdoor section, Finnish sauna, Infrared sauna, a Jacuzzi, massage, baby swimming, Aqua Fitness, Fitness, swimming lessons, Snack Bar.. Adult ticket HUF800, between 6-18 years or retired HUF600, Finnish sauna incl. Jacuzzi use, HUF1050, Infrared sauna (35 minutes) HUF600, Towel hire 350, Women's swimsuit rental HUF460, Men's swimwear rental HUF460, Bathing cap rental HUF400..

City Library (Nagykanizsai Halis Istvan Varosi konyvtar), Kalvin ter 5, ☎ + 36 93 510024. M, W, F; 13.00 - 18.30, Tu, Th; 9.00-16.00.. Sandor Hevesi Community Center (Hevesi Sandor Muvelodesi Kozpont), Korhaz utca corner. Weekdays 14; 00 - 18; 00.. February - Nagykanizsai National Doughnut Festival (Nagykanizsai Orszagos Fankfesztival). 3rd or 4th weekend of April - City Day (Nagykanizsa Varos Napja). June - Military International Equestrian Show (Military Nemzetkozi Lovastusa). June - International Jumping Competition (Nemzetkozi Dijugrato verseny).

July - Cserfo Jazzland (Cserfo JazzLand). July - Summer Theatre (Konnyed Nyari Szinhaz). July - Technical Sport Competition (Technikai Negytusa). August - Festival Igric (Igric Fesztival). August - International Folk Dance Festival of Zala County (Zalai Nemzetkozi Neptancfesztival). September - Wine and Dodolle (potato dish) Festival (Kanizsai Bor - es Dodolle Fesztival). October - Kanizsa International Jazz and World Music Festival (Kanizsa Nemzetkozi Jazz - es Vilagzenei Fesztival). Csengey Denes Poetry and Prose Contest of the Carpathian Basin (Karpat medencei Csengey Denes Vers es Prozamondo Verseny).

Ludvig Artists Colony (Ludvig Muvesztelep). Nagykanizsai Boating Lake (Nagykanizsai Csonakazo to), Kaposvari u, ☎ + 36 93 313-396. A Nagykanizsa kozpontjatol 4,5 km tavolsagra kialakitott mesterseges to kornyeken minden evszakban talalhatunk szamunkra megfelelo szabadidos programot.. Az orszag egyik legszebb fekvesu kis tava horgaszasra, vizibiciklizesre es csonakazasra is alkalmas. Telen szankozni es korcsolyazni is lehet. A furotoronybol kialakitott kilatoba jelenleg nem lehet felmenni, de a kornyezo erdo barangolasra csabitja a latogatokat..

Toledo Horse Association (Toledo Lovas Egyesulet), Nagykanizsa Palin, ☎ + 36 30 552-3466 (Mobil).. Kogaz Leisure Club (Kogaz Szabadido Klub), Var u 2, ☎ + 36 30 378-9328 (Mobil).. Ropte Tennis Club (Ropte Tenisz Klub), Ady u 72 / B, ☎ + 36 30 912-9376 (Mobil). FORMAT.. Tennis Club of Kanizsa Sport Association (Kanizsa Tenisz Klub SE), Virag Benedek u 2, ☎ + 36 20 353-4778 (Mobil).. Squash Court (Squash palya), Centrum udvar, ☎ + 36 30 288-7500 (Mobil).. Sun Dya Fitness Center (Szan Dia Fitness Center), Kinizsi u 11., ☎ Tel; + 36 93 737-787FORMATNOCC..

Kanizsa Spinning Club, Zrinyi u 46, ☎ + 36 30 246-1388 (Mobil).. Letenye thermalbath (Letenye thermalfurdo), Letenye (Take Motorway 7 toward west). Located in the Park of Szapary castle. 50 C thermal water. 33x20 meters large swimming pool, a circular children's pool, volleyball and beach football fields.. Sport center (Mindenki Sportpalyaja), Kaan Karoly u 20., ☎ + 36 93 516-851, + 36 30 947-7108 (Mobil), e-mail; sport szallo@freemail. hu.. Here is also the Sport Motel Fees for sports courts; Large grass football pitch HUF6000 8000 / hour, Small cinder track HUF2000 / hour, Bituminous handball court HUF500 / hour, Bituminous basketball court HUF500 / hour, Volleyball court HUF500 / hour, Athletics track 5,000 / hour, Tennis Court fee; HUF800 / hour, HUF1000 per two hours, Artificial grass football field HUF3,000 / hour..

Ski and toboggan track (Si es szankopalya), Ujudvar. There is a 600 m long course with 95 m elevation difference. In the county this is the only ski resort. The slope is ideal for beginners.. Lift and warming house is available..

How To Get In

Nagykanizsa Bus Station (Nagykanizsa Autobusz allomas), Bathory u 2 (West of Downtown), ☎ + 36 93 311-420, + 36 93 509-735 (Prebooking Cash Desk). Interurban schedule.. - Long distance buses Ajka (six per day, two hours), Alsopahok (hourly more), Aszofo (eight), Abrahamhegy (seven), Badacsony (ten per day, one and half hours), Szigliget (six per day, one and half hours), Bak (ten), Balatonakali (six), Balatonalmadi (three), Balatonboglar (three per day, cca one and half hours), Balatonederics (ten), Balatonfured (six +), Balatonfuzfo (two), Balatongyorok (.

hourly), Balatonlelle (three), Balatonmariafurdo (three), Balatonrendes (six +), Balatonszentgyorgy (hourly), Balatonszepezd (six), Balatonudvari (six), Banokszentgyorgy (hourly), Becehegy (hourly), Becsehely (hourly), Bikal (daily), Bocska four), Bonyhad (two), Bohonye (hourly), Budapest (hourly), Celldomolk (daily), Cserszegtomaj (six), Csesztreg (six +), Csopak six), Csornyefold (four), Csurgo (. four), Devecser (six), Dioskal (six), Dobogomajor (five), Dunafoldvar, Egeraracsa (five), Egervar (three), Esztergalyhorvati (six), Fakospuszta (five), Felsobarand major (hourly), Felsopahok (hourly), Fenekpuszta (four), Fonyod (three), Galambok (hourly), Garabonc (five), Gellenhaza (hourly), Gelse (three), Gyenesdias (half hourly), Gyor (four), Hagyarosborond (three), Hahot (hourly.

), Hegyesd (four), Herend two), Heviz (every twenty minutes), Inke (three), Kapolcs (four), Kaposvar (hourly), Karmacs (hourly), Kald two), Kalocfa three), Kam (daily), Kaptalanfa (three), Kecskemet (daily), Kehidakustyany (five), Kemendollar (hourly), Kerkabarabas (three), Kerkeszentkiraly (three), Keszthely (every twenty minutes), Kethely (hourly), Kophaza (three), Kozmadombja (. three), Kormend (six), Koszeg (three), Lenti (half hourly), Lesenceistvand (five), Lesencetomaj (five), Letenye (hourly), Lispeszentadorjan (three), Lovaszi (four), Lovo (three), Magyarszerdahely (three), Magyarszentmiklos (five), Marcali (hourly), Mariahegy (four), Meggyeserdo, (three), Melykut (three), Mihalyfa (hourly), Mikekaracsonyfa (three), Misefa (three), Monostorapati (four),.

Mor (daily), Morahalom (three), Nagyatad (four), Nagybajom (three), Nagycenk (three), Nagygorbo (four), Nagyhorvati (three), Nagykapornak (hourly), Nagylengyel (five), Nagyrada (five), Nagyvazsony (four), Nemeshany (three), Nemesnep (three), Nemesrado (four), Nikla (three), Noszlop (four), Nyirad (five), Nyirlak (four), Ohid (four), Oroszlany (two),. Oriszentpeter (three), Pacsa (hourly), Pakod (six), Paloznak (two), Paka (five), Papa (four), Pertikeresztur (five), Pecs (hourly), Poganyszentpeter (five), Rezi (daily), Revfulop (five), Salomvar (three), Sarhida (five), Sarmellek (five), Sarvar (three), Siofok (two), Somogyvar (two), Sopron (three), Sojtor (three), Sumeg (hourly),.

Szabadbattyan (two), Szajk Lakes (daily), Szeged (two), Szekszard (daily), Szentgyorgyvar (hourly), Szentgyorgyvolgy (three), Szentliszlo (three), Szentpeterur (three), Szekesfehervar (five), Szigetvar (five), Szigliget (hourly), Szombathely (hourly), Tapolca (hourly), Tatabanya (three), Tornyiszentmiklos (four), Totszentmarton (three), Totvazsonyi (four), Torekpuszta (five), Turje (five), Vasvar (three). , Varpalota (three), Varvolgy (four), Velemer (two), Veszprem (hourly), Vindornyafok (four), Vonyarcvashegy (half hourly), Zalaapati (half hourly), Zalabaksa (five), Zalaber (half hourly), Zalacsany (half hourly), Zalacseb (three), Zalaegerszeg (three per hour), Zalahalap (three), Zalakaros (hourly), Zalakomar (three), Zalalovo (hourly), Zalaszabar (hourly), Zalaszanto (three), Zalaszentbalazs (hourly.

), Zalaszentgrot (half hourly), Zalaszentgrot / Aranyod (five), Zalaszentgyorgy (three), Zalaszentivan (eight), Zalaszentlaszlo (three), Zalaszentmarton (three), Zalaszentmihaly (five), Zalatarnok (three), Zalaudvarnok (three), Zalavar (four), Zamardi (two), Zagorhida (three), Zanka (seven).. - All settlments of Zala and almost all Somogy County have daily bus connection with Nagykanizsa.. (up to per day bus lines), in school season and on weekdays are more bus, except resort place (around Lake Balaton, and Termal Bath Town such as Heviz, Zalakaros, Kehidakustany) where opposite way weekends, holidays are the most busy times in the bus transportation..

Nagykanizsa Train Station (Nagykanizsa Vasutallomas), Ady Endre utca 69 (S one km from Center), ☎ + 36 93 311 059. 24/7. The railway station of Nagykanizsa was built in accordance with the standard plans of the Austrian Southern Railway Society.. - Trains from Budapest via Szekesfehervar, Siofok, Balatonlelle, Fonyod moving on the South Coast of the Lake Balaton. To Keszthely or Tapolca first must to take an eastbound train to Balatonszentgyorgy (41km) and there need to change for an other one..

Toward west there are direct international trains via Murakeresztur to Ljubljana and via Gyekenyes to Zagreb. To North Szombathely (102km) via Zalaszentlorinc (57km away, which is junction point to Zalaegerszeg plus 25km), To Sopron and Koszeg must to change at Szombathely.. Toward South; to Pecs (148 km) via Szigetvar (114 km) four six per day - Services; e ticket collecting point, ticket machine, lifts for disabled, bus connection, disabled lavatory.

How To Get Around

Tourinform (Tourist Informormation,), Csengery ut 1-3. (Downtown), ☎ + 36 93 313285, e-mail; nagykanizsa@tourinform. hu. M F; 08.30-16.30, Sa; 09.00-14.00 (in the summer).. Information about sights, accomodation, restaurants, programs in Nagykanizsa, the surroundings. Postcards, guides and Hungary Card Tickets for programs in Nagykanizsa. Organizing of city tours. Tickets for international bus lines.. Tickets forevents. Maps. Craftsman's products (candles, ceramics, honours of cornhusk, honours of wood). Assistance card.

What To Buy

Interspar Hypermarket (Interspar hipermarket), Taborhely u 4 (SE half km), e-mail; info@spar. hu. M Sa; 06.00-22.00, Su; 08.00-19.00. Includes; DM Nagykanizsa. Tesco Nagykanizsa hypermarket (Tesco hipermarket), Boszorkany utca 2 (North of Centre). 24/7. Services; Wi Fi, Credit card payment, ATMs, meat countertop, fresh bakery products, F & F clothing department, gift package making and packaging, free parking, Home Delivery.. Coop supermarket (Coop szupermarket), Hevesi Sandor utca (Center), e-mail; uzletlanc@coop. hu. M F Sa. Supermarket chain..

- More units; Medium Market, (Kinizsi u 102 Tel; + 36 20 9627-504), - Medium Market vegyesbolt, (Templom ter 12 Tel; + 36 93 319-102), - Tick tock Grocery Stores, (Rozsa u 1, Tel; + 36 93 321-775), - No 19.. Forras (Kiraly u 36 Tel; + 36 93 537-061, + 36 93 510-269), - Verseny ABC (Jakabkuti ut 1, Tel; + 36 93 319-329), - 106.. sz. ABC (Olaj U 27 Tel; + 36 93 311-148), - No103. ABC (Platan sor 6, Tel; 93/311 401), - No104. sz. ABC (Erzsebet ter, 17, Tel; + 36 93 311-557), - No102.. sz. ABC (Csengery u 2, Tel; + 36 93 312-051), - No124. Supermarket (Hevesi u 6 Tel; 93/314 387), - No101. sz. ABC (Rozsa u 3, Tel; + 36 93 314-445)..

Lidl discount store (Lidl diszkontaruhaz), Balaton utca 41, ☎ + 36 80 020 534, fax; + 36 1 346-6010, e-mail; info@lidl. hu. Opening Mo Su 07; 00-20; 00.. Penny Market, Kalmar utca (Next to Kanizsa Plaza), ☎ + 36-29 339-345 (Customer Service), e-mail; ugyfelszolgalat@penny. hu. M Sa; 07; 00-20; 00, Su; 07; 00-18; 00.. Spar supermarket Nagykanizsa (Spar szupermarket), Kalmar utca 3 (Center), ☎ + 36 20 823 7707 (Mobil), e-mail; info@spar. hu. M F; 06.30-20.00, Sa; 06.30-18.00, Su; 07.00-13.00.. Euronics, Dozsa Gyorgy utca 160, ☎ + 36 1 411 8434 (Customer Service; Weekdays 9; 00-17; 00) FORMAT, e-mail; nagykanizsa2@euronics. hu. Open; M F; 09; 00-18; 00, Sa; 09; 00-18; 00, Su; 10; 00-16; 00..

Electronics supermarket chain. - Other unit; Celpont department store unit (Zrinyi u 15. Open; M F; 08.30-17.30, Sa; 08.30-12.30, Su. closed. - Tel; + 36 93 536-173. Kanizsa Plaza (Kanizsa Uzletkozpont), Europa Tanacs utca 2, ☎ + 36 93 537 700, e-mail; kanizsaplaza@klepierre.com. Stores Mo Sa 9; 00-18; 00, Su 9; 00-14; 00.. - CBA Cent M Sa 07; 00-20; 00, Su 07; 00-19; 00. - Amadeus Cafe M Sa 8; 00-21; 00, Su 8; 00-20; 00.. - Cinema Nagykanizsa Cash Open; half an hour before the first performance..

Del Zalai Department Store (Del Zalai Aruhaz Nagykanizsa), Kiraly utca 36 (Nagyvathy utca corner, South one block from Nagykanizsa Bus Station), ☎ + 36 93 537 023.. Csarnok Department Store (Csarnok Uzlethaz) (West one block from Nagykanizsa Bus Station).. Celpont department store (Celpont Uzlethaz), Zrinyi Miklos utca 15 (Right next to Del Zalai Department Store), ☎ + 36 93 537 023.. Kanizsa Plaza Cosmos City (Kanizsa Plaza Cosmos City), Europatanacs utca 88., ☎ 93 312 264NOCC.. Europa West (Europa West Uzlethaz Nagykanizsa), Erzsebet ter 22..

OBI Nagykanizsa DIY Store (Obi barkacsaruhaz), Recsei ut 30. (E hundred meters from Tesco Nagykanizsa hypermarket), ☎ + 36 1 455 5100, + 36 40 212223.. Intersport Nagykanizsa Parkcenter, Recsei ut 26-28 (Right next to Tesco Nagykanizsa hypermarket), ☎ + 36 93 516 272, e-mail; office. nagykanizsa@intersport. hu. M F 09; 00-19; 00, Sa Su 09; 00-18; 00.. Hervis Nagykanizsa STOP SHOP, Dozsa Gyorgy ut 123. (Take bus 20 or 21), ☎ + 36 93 516296, + 36 20 8238997 (Mobil), fax; + 36 93 516295.. M F; 10.00-19.00, Sa 9.00-19.00, Su; 9.30-18.00. Shoes, fashion, fitness, running, children, climbing, cycling, Football, accessories, tennis, snowboard, tour, hiking and travel goods..

What To Eat

Ambrozia Restaurant (Ambrozia Etterem), Szent Florian ter 4, ☎ + 36 30 6310364 (Mobil), fax; + 36 93 319375. Open; M F 11.30–19.30..

Where To Sleep

Ambrozia Pension (Ambrozia Maganszallas), Pivari u 4 (West), ☎ + 36 93 319-375, + 36 30 631-0364 (Mobil), e-mail; ambroziank@upcmail. hu.. 2-3-4 bedded Non Smoking rooms all with Bathroom / Shower, wash basin, toilet /, - Wireless Internet access, - Towels and sheets are provided, - On the corridor fridge, freezer and microwave located, - closed parking, playground For one / two / three person (s) HUF6300 / 9000 / 11800.. All tax icl. On request breakfast HUF1000.. Centrum Guesthouse (Centrum Vendeghaz), Kiraly u 29. (W 300m of Erzsebet Square), ☎ + 36 30 927-2845 (Mobil), e-mail; marianna03@freemail. hu..

Kitchen - dining room - toilet - entrance hall - private parking cable TV, For one / two / three / four / five person (s) HUF 5400 / 7800 / 11700 / 15600 / 17000.. Hotel Central (Hotel Central ***), Erzsebet ter 23. (Center), ☎ + 36 93 314-000, fax; + 36 93 310-111, e-mail; info@hotelcentral. hu. Fifty rooms.. All rooms with telephone, internet, wi fi, color TV, radio, minibar Sgl / dbl / tpl HUF11300 13300 / 14600-16600 / 16900-18900.. Pension Cserfa (Cserfa Panzio), Cserfa u 5, ☎ + 36 93 319-465, + 36 20 361-6689 (Mobil), + 36 30 641 0341 (Mobil Contact in english), e-mail; cserfapanzio@gmail. hu..

Eve Apartment (Eva Apartman), Arpad u 40., ☎ + 36 93 321-745, + 36 70 536-2142 (Mobil), e-mail; evaapartman@citromail. hu.. Pension Forhenci I (Forhenci Panzio I), Forhenc 332. (North cca six km), ☎ + 36 93 313-288, + 36 30 979-46-10 (Mobil), e-mail; forhenchegy@freemail. hu.. Pension Forhenci II. (Forhenci Panzio II), Forhenc 320. (North cca six km), ☎ + 36 93 313-288, + 36 30 979-4610 (Mobil), e-mail; forhenchegy@freemail. hu.. Pension Galeria (Galeria Panzio), Kisfaludy u 31. (South 200m from Center), ☎ + 36 93 310-767, fax; + 36 93 325-767, e-mail; info@galeria panzio. hu..

Ten comfortable and individual guest rooms and apparments with kitchen.. Services; Internet, (wireless), Television, Radio, Non smoking rooms, Air condition, Tub in the bath Sgl / dbl / tpl HUF8700 / 12600 / 16500, Apartment for two guests one bedroom with two single beds HUF13600, Appartment for four guests, one bedroom with two single couch HUF18500 all tax incl... Pension Hegyi (Hegyi Panzio), Sikator u 1 (North of Center), ☎ + 36 93 323-751, + 36 30 339-9648 (Mobil), e-mail; beni88@citromail. hu..

free WiFi, Free parking, six rooms Dbl HUF5600.. Pension Herkules (Herkules Panzio), Herkules u 90. (North four km away), ☎ + 36 93 321-299, + 36 30 257-5440 (Mobil), e-mail; info@herkulespanzio. hu.. Room; HUF4000 6000 per person, Continental Breakfast; HUF1000, Lunch, dinner; HUF1500.. Ms Kertesz Rozsa B&B (Kertesz Rozsa maganszallas), Haladas u 19. (West of Canal Principalis), ☎ + 36 30 993-9700 (Mobil), e-mail; kerteszrozsa@chello. hu.. Konig Hotel Restaurant & Cafe (Hotel Konig ****), Urhajos u 1 (North of Hwy 7), ☎ + 36 93 536-166, fax; + 36 93 536-165, e-mail; info@konighotel. hu..

Room rates include breakfast. Double room for one / two person (s) HUF12800 / 17600. - 3 beds room; HUF20.500, Suite for two / three / four HUF25600 / 28900 / 32200 all tax incl... Korona Hotel and Restaurant (Korona Szallo), Csonakazo to (Boating Lake) (Turn north from Hwy 61 at the first street after Creek Bakonaki (if you come from Nagykanizsa)), ☎ + 36 93 318-426, + 36 30 913-2800, + 36 30 530-1910 (Mobil), e-mail; koronaszallo@gmail.com.. Check in; 14.00, check out; 10.00. 19 rooms. All room price include; Buffet breakfast. All rooms with with shower, toilet, sink, hair dryer, satellite TV, refrigerator, towels and Wi Fi..

- Outdoor cooking facilities, sizeable free parking next to the hotel even for buses. - 24 hour reception, bar, restaurant (partially active), safe service. - Conference room up to fifty pers.. Sgl / Dbl or Twin / Tpl / Quad HUF7800 / 12600 / 16200 / 18600. Two room suites for three person HUF18000. - surcharges; tourist tax HUF300 per person over 18 years.. Pets HUF2500 Extra bed with breakfast (6 12 years / 12 + years) HUF3600 / 4600, Half board HUF3000. - Wellness; Jacuzzi 1500, Finnish sauna HUF1500 / hour..

Pension Kristina (Krisztina Panzio), Szekeres u 64. (East one km from Center near to Interspar), ☎ + 36 93 318-379, + 36 20 9570-680 (Mobil), fax; + 36 93 318379.. Check in; 00; 00-23; 00 ? Ten air. con. rooms with bathroom, fridge and TV. - Free parking, continental breakfast. Dbl / Tpl / Quad HUF10400 / 12600 / 15000 all tax incl... Marika City Pension (Marika Panzio), Sugar ut 45 (North half km from Center), ☎ + 36 93 326311, + 36 30 9161162 (Mobil), e-mail; info@marikapanzio. hu.. , In the central pension designed of high level, 7 rooms with shower and toilet, with colour TV; breakfast room and carpark are waiting for the guests. Free wifi spot. Jun.1st Sep.15th Sgl / Dbl or Twin / Tpl HUF7300 / 10600 / 14100..

Family rooms for four / five persons HUF16900 / 20900 all tax inc (out of season about 15% discount).. Hotel Mini, Palin, Felsoerdo u 93. (Five km north from the downtown - taking M7, exit Zalaegerszeg, continue on Hwy 74 until Palin), ☎ + 36 30 9975-321 (Mobil), fax; + 36 93 318-539, e-mail; info@hotelmini. hu.. Pension Hugi (Hugi Panzio), Kiraly u 7 (300 m west from the downtown), ☎ + 36 93 336-100, fax; + 36 93 336-100, e-mail; hugiszilvi@gmail.com, hugiszilvi@blogspot.com hugiszilvi@freemail. hu, hugiszilvi@gmail.com, hugiszilvi@blogspot.com..

A few minutes away from downtown, located in a quiet environment. Capacity; 19 people. One two three bedded en suite tv, air conditioned rooms. Private car parking, free Wi Fi Standart room for one / two / three person (s) HUF7800 / 11100 / 13300.. - Deluxe room HUF9300 / 13100 breakfast plus HUF1000. MULTIPLE EMAIL. Nyirfas Camping and Motel, Bajcsy Zsilinszky Endre utca 118. (West of Canal Principalis - About three km west from the downtown), ☎ + 36 93 319-821, + 36 30 354-4646 (Mobil), e-mail; nyirfascamping79@freemail. hu..

The motel has three double, two quad and one triple rooms. Services; flush toilet, Pets are allowed, hot and cold water shower, laundry facilities, electrical connection, camper drain, cooking facilities, hot and cold water sink, private parking, freezer pack cooling, playground.. Well equipped kitchen. Horse riding, bicycle rental. 40 m2 children's pool. Motel HUF2800 p.p. - Camping; adult / children HUF800 / 600, places / current HUF600/700.. Hotel Oasis (Apartmanhotel Oazis ***), Magyar u.19. (North 300 m from the downtown), ☎ + 36 93 314-381, + 36 20 559-2227 (Mobil), fax; + 36 93 510-049, e-mail; oazis@hotelnagykanizsa. hu..

Check in; 14.00, check out; 10.00. Wi Fi. Sgl / Dbl / Tpl HUF8000 / 10250 / 13850. TTwo bedroom's studio for four people; HUF16350, Apartment for 2 people; HUF13150, additional beds; HUF3500, Pet surcharge; HUF4500, Breakfast (extended continental); HUF960.. Pannon Uni Hostel (Pannon Egyetem Kollegiuma), Zarda u 2 (Near to Alsovaros Franciscan church), ☎ + 36 30 635-0824 (Mobil), + 36 93 502-904, e-mail; fenyvesi. karolyne@uni pen. hu.. Dorms common shower; HUF2700 own shower; HUF3300 (more than a week; ten percent discount)..

Pelikan (Pelikan Maganszallas), Haladas ut 9 (From the motorway take the exit to Gyekenyes, Kiskanizsa When you get to the MOL petrol station turn right and then straight away left into Pivari Street Continue down this street for approximately 1km - SW from downtown), ☎ + 36 93 319-546, + 36 30 324-0115 (Mobil), e-mail; info@pelikanszallas. hu.. Each room has cable TV and internet connection via W LAN. There is also a computer with internet available for guests. There is a kitchen with a microwave, fridge and coffee machine..

There is a grocery and cafe located just 5 minutes walk from the pension. Also has a secure car park. HUF2500 3800 per person all tax incl... Platanus Pension and Restaurant (Platanus Panzio), Garay u 21. (Rigt north to M7 motorway), ☎ + 36 30 9032-629 (Mobil), e-mail; info@platanuspanzio. hu.. Open 24/7. Sgl / Dbl / Tpl HUF8500 / 13800 / 17100. Family Room for four persons / Apartment for six persons; HUF21200 / 28800 all tax incl... Hotel Szoloskert (Hotel Szoloskert ***, Vineyard Inn & Hotel *** Restaurant), Kaposvari ut 106. (Hwy 61 toward southeast from Nagykanizsa Near to the Boating Lake), ☎ + 36 93 516-016, + 36 30 939-9398 (Mobil), fax; + 36 93 516-011, e-mail; hotel@szoloskert.com..

All rooms with satellite flat screen TV, air conditioning and a bathroom with a shower. - Standard (16 sqm); Comfort (24 sqm);, Superior (24 sqm); Deluxe (30sqm).. Jacuzzi and the steam room Standard HUF9800 10800, Comfort HUF10800 13100, Superior HUF12300 -13800, Deluxe HUF15300 17100 (Oct 2014).. Sport Motel (Sportszallo (Mindenki Sportpalyaja)), Kaan Karoly u 20., ☎ + 36 93 516-851, + 36 30 947-7108 (Mobil), fax; + 36 93 516-851, e-mail; sport szallo@freemail. hu.. Sport Motel HUF2800 per person...

TISZK Student Hostel (TISZK Kollegium), Ady u 74 / a, ☎ + 36 93 510-251, e-mail; titkarsag@kanizsatiszk. hu.. B&B (Maganszallas Nagykanizsan Kanizsatourist), Csengery u 17., ☎ + 36 93 311-185, + 36 20 421-0886 (Mobil), e-mail; kanizsatourist@chello. hu. Kanizsatourist Agency, Fo ut 13.. other B&B's; Kalmar u 7, Zrinyi Miklos u 36.. Hotel Touring Nagykanizsa, Attila utca 4, ☎ + 36 93 536-590, + 36 30 326-4222 (Mobil), fax; + 36 93 536-592, e-mail; info@touringhotel. hu. Check in; 14.00, check out; 10.00..

40 rooms with private shower and toilets, colour TV; common kitchen and free breakfast. Main season (VI 15 - IX 15).. Sgl / Dbl room 6800/9300, Dbl room without TV / with extra bed 8000/11400, 2 + 2 beds / 2 + 3 bed family room 15300/16700, breakfast HUF1060 all tax incl..

Connect

Post Office (Magyar Posta), Zrinyi Miklos utca 31, ☎ + 36 1, e-mail; ugyfelszolgalat@posta. hu..

History

The city's oldest Roman era ruins were uncovered in the 1960s. Later, during the Middle Ages, it became one of the most important strongholds of the Hungarian Kingdom.. The fortress had a significant role in the southern shield line of Hungary, keeping the whole of Western Europe safe from the attacks of the Ottoman Empire. Instead of conquerors, today Nagykanizsa attracts thousands of dental tourists as the modern age's invaders. The name Kanizsa is of Slavic origin, and means " belonging to a prince ". It refers to the fact that the region was the property of an aristocrat..

The name Kanizsa was first mentioned in a document in 1245. The Kanizsai family continued building the castle and constructed a rectangular castle with an enclosed back yard on an islet in the River Kanizsa.. The town and the castle were in their prime in the first half of the 16th century, when Kanizsa became a centre of trade with Italy and Styria.. Szigetvr and Kanizsa became the most important strongholds in southern Hungary. In 1600 the Turkish army occupied the castle. This castle was the center of an Ottoman eyalet including the sanjaks of Sigetvar, Kopan, Valpuva, Siklos, Nadaj and Balatin until 1690, when the city was invaded by the Habsburg armies..

In 1601, during the Ottoman Habsburg War of 1593-1606, a siege began on September 9 and ended on November 18. The Habsburg forces were commanded by Ferdinand the Archduke of Austria, and Tiryaki Hasan Pasha was defending the castle.. Hasan Pasha won the fight against the ten times bigger army of Austrians with many cunning military ploys, and was raised to the rank of Vizier.. At the beginning of the 18th century, the holder of the castle moved German, Croatian and Serbian settlers into the deserted town. A particularly mixed ethnic group lived in a suburb called Kiskanizsa..

After the Turks were driven out the town lost its strategic significance, so the Vienna war council demolished the castle in 1702.. Business became lively, trade became important again, and crafts developed significantly. In 1765, elementary and secondary education was begun by the Piarist order supported by Lajos Batthyny, palatine of Hungary.. The first business school of Transdanubia was opened in Nagykanizsa, and in 1895 it was made into a college.. Many people who had attended its schools became famous Benedek Virg, Pl Kirly, Ferenc Dek, Kroly Kan, Sndor Hevesi and Ferenc Mez all studied in the ancient buildings of Nagykanizsa's " almae matres "..

Nagykanizsa started a new phase of large scale development in the 1860s. The railway connecting Nagykanizsa with Vienna, Budapest and Rijeka was constructed at that time. There was rapid development in industry as well.. This industrial and business development resulted in the foundation of banks. Besides the four local banks, an Austro Hungarian and an Anglo Hungarian bank also opened branch offices in town. Telephone lines were established and the town was connected with a long distance system in 1895..

At the same time a 70 bed hospital was opened.. During World War I, military barracks were built in the town. This necessitated the construction of a municipal water network. Kanizsa became a modern town; drainage system construction and paving of streets began.. World War I caused grave consequences. Kanizsa became isolated and lost its markets in the south and west. Oil helped the town to survive. After successful exploration by the American corporation Eurogasco, Hungarian American Oil Inc was formed..

Nagykanizsa became the centre of the Hungarian oil industry.. Beer brewed in Kanizsa Brewery regained its reputation as one of the best Hungarian beers, carrying off the palm at more and more international competitions at the beginning of the century the brewery was closed as demand for beer fell drastically.. Kanizsa Trend Ltd. grew out of the company, with its furniture products gaining a high reputation all over Europe. The predecessor of the present day Tungsram Plc, now belonging to General Electric, was opened in 1965..

It is now one of the biggest light bulb factories in the world.. Krolyi Park, City Park, and large squares like Kossuth, Etvs and Erzsbet squares were extended after 1962. A boating lake was formed, becoming a popular recreation centre..

International Relations

Nagykanizsa is twinned with.

External Links

Coordinates 4627N 1659E 46.450N 16.983E 46.450; 16.983.